About Horticulture Department
Kamareddy District is 110 kms away from Hyderabad and it is easy access in between i.e National Highway No.44 and Railways. So to cater the needs of Hyderabad population, vegetable production in and around Kamareddy is congenial. The farmers of this area is inhabitate of growing Paddy, Sugarcane and other pulse crops. It is very need of diversification of crops from agriculture to vegetable crops by better awareness of latest crop techniques and can avail the subsidy from department by growing vegetables.The Government has proposed to develop the vegetable crop colonies for production of vegetables including Onion crop.
CONCEPT OF CROP COLONIES:
The concept of crop colonies is nothing but mapping of areas as per the soil, identifying which land is suitable for which crop keeping in mind the local demand of the specific crop or vegetable.
AIM OF CROP COLONIES:
- To expand area, increase production and productivity and to achieve self sufficiency.
- Move to turn farming into profitable profession.
OBJECTIVES OF CROP COLONIES:
- Development of crop colonies main objective is, to meet the growing demand for fruits and vegetables.
- Encourage aggregation of farmers into farmer groups like CIG/FPOs to bring economy and increase horticulture production, income and strengthen nutritional security:
- Improve productivity by way of quality planting material and water use efficiency through Micro Irrigation.
- Support skill development and create employment generation opportunities for rural youth in horticulture and post-harvest management, especially in the cold chain sector.
- Facilitate access to fair & remunerative markets including linking producer groups to marketing opportunities by market aggregators.