Koulas Fort Koulas (V), Jukkal (M)Direction
The village of Kowlas is a historical place, situated in Jukkal Mandal of Kamareddy District. According to local tradition, Kowlas was originally called, ‘Kailas’, as five Sivalingas were established by the Kakatiya rulers in five corners. The Kowlas, Bodhan and Nizamabad kingdoms together were called Indur in ancient times. Kowlas Fort was constructed at the present site by Rashtrakutas during 9th Century CE. The Fort was captured by Chalukyas of Kalyani dynasty in the third quarter of 10th Century CE. The mud fort was later captured by Kakatiyas of Warangal and it was part of Kakatiya kingdom till 1323 CE. After the advent of the Muslims the fort was successively under the control of Bahamanis, Qutb Shahis, Naikwaries, Mughals, Maratas and finally Asaf Jahis.
Raja Gopal Singh Gour was appointed as the Raja of Kowlas and his successors held this fort till 1947 CE. The Fort is approximately one kilometre in length and seven hundred meters in width. It has 52 bastions (the prominent bastions are Hussaini, Mallika, Mula and Kadika Burz), three temples (Venkateswara temple, Ramalayam and Mahadev temple), two mosques, five wells, four granaries and other structures such as Rani mahal, Elephant well (Enugula bavi) etc.
Jagdamba Bhawani canon also known as Navgarji tope is the largest canon of the world of its time. Raja Gopal Singh made this in the year 1728 CE. There are five more canons inside the Fort.Koulas Fort is a massive fort dating back to the 14th century, spread across 6 sq km and located in Jukkal mandal close to Bidar – Nanded road. This fort was built by Kakatiya rulers. This fort was conquered by Muslim rulers Bahamanis, Qutb Shahis and later occupied by the Nizams.
The Koulas Fort was constructed in the semi-Dravidian style at an altitude of about 1100 ft. There is a stream that stands as a natural moat to the fort. The fort is spread across 400 acres surrounded by large fortification wall with strong bastions. The fort houses several wonderfully built gateways, buildings, temples, mosques and other structures. There are about 20 large cannons spread across the fort. It has 52 small and big bastions along several water tanks. The fort temple and dargah were declared as protected monuments by the Archaeology Department.
The Kasikund temple was constructed on the patterns of the Kasi temple. There are three other temples dedicated to Rama, Hanuman and Balaji. Behind the fort is the Ashtabuji Mata also known as Jagadamba Mata temple. The fort is currently not well maintained and the approach route is full of thorns. Also, the fort becomes inaccessible during monsoons when the water levels in stream reach the peak.
Visitors need to trek 250 mts to reach the Koulas Fort. It is advisable to take a villager as a guide from the Koulas village to visit the fort. The Koulas dam is about 20 km away from the fort and attracts a large number of birds in winter.
Timings: 9 AM to 6 PM.
How to Reach:
At present, there is no functional airport in Kamareddy . The closest airport is the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport in Hyderabad, at a distance of 168km.
You can reach Kamareddy from Secundrabad(SC) or Kacheguda(KCG) by travelling in a train. Secundrabad to Kamareddy train takes approximately 2 hours 15 minutes. Kamareddy is connected to Hyderabad, the capital city of Telangana, located at a distance of approximately 113 km, through rail transport,
Kaulas village is located 10 km from Jukkal mandal headquarters, inturn located at a distance of nearly 97 km from the district headquarters of Kamareddy District. At a distance of 3 km from Koulas, 81 km from Nizamabad, 84 km from Medak and 169 km from Hyderabad, Koulas Fort is situated near Koulas village in Kamareddy district.